Markakis ended up at negative WAR in both rWAR and fWAR this year

AlbionHero

Simple point. Nick has been compensated for his production, Brian not nearly so much, no matter how much he declined over the past few years. Yeah we took a bath on his last contract, but we made out like bandits prior to that.

Per BB-ref, Roberts has been paid $62.3 mm in his career and has been worth 28.9 WAR. Markakis has been paid $49.2 mm and has been worth 23.5 WAR. I don't see much difference there one way or the other. BRob has been paid $2.16 mm per WAR, Nick has been paid $2.09 mm per WAR. The ratio will swing in Nick's favor (i.e., being more highly paid per WAR) after the final year of his contract, barring some unexpected leap in production by Nick.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per BB-ref, Roberts has been paid $62.3 mm in his career and has been worth 28.9 WAR. Markakis has been paid $49.2 mm and has been worth 23.5 WAR. I don't see much difference there one way or the other. BRob has been paid $2.16 mm per WAR, Nick has been paid $2.09 mm per WAR. The ratio will swing in Nick's favor (i.e., being more highly paid per WAR) after the final year of his contract, barring some unexpected leap in production by Nick.

Has the rate remained constant since 2001?

I laugh whenever I read that Brady is somehow the answer. He is a former O that kept himself in shape. Big deal. I have yet to see direct results of any player improving on the field from Brady's workouts. Maybe the Oriole players should start working out with a trainer that has documented results. Lets be honest here. Brady is at least "a little suspect" when it comes to getting results. In todays PED climate, I would think the Orioles would want to stay as far away from Brady as possible. But some how he s a VP. I think it is one of the most amazing stories in baseball.

Chris Tillman is waving hello at you.

Has the rate remained constant since 2001?

What rate do you mean? Salaries in MLB have increased significantly since 2001, if that's your question. Per fangraphs, 1 WAR was worth about $2.8 mm in 2003, and was worth about $4.9 mm in 2013. I think what that suggests is that even if Nick, at the end of next year, has a higher ratio of total salary to total WAR, that is to be expected, since he has played during a period when WAR was worth more. Is that your point?

Please supply me with the dates that Tillman was working out with Brady. I doubt there is a direct correlation.

Chris Tillman has spent the last two offseasons with Brady. Before that he and Matusz were at Athletes Performance, San Diego. Word had it that they Surfed a bit.

Chris Tillman has spent the last two offseasons with Brady. Before that he and Matusz were at Athletes Performance, San Diego. Word had it that they Surfed a bit.

So Brady is the reason that Tillman has progressed, but not the reason Matusz appears to be ready to pass out after facing two batters? You would have to give me a lot more information then one player maturing to convince me that the reason is Brady. There certainly is not enough data to produce a credible report that suggests that working out with Brady over any good trainer is beneficial. Throw in what I consider a huge risk and personally I'd stay away.

Archived